Wednesday, November 12, 2014

WOYWW #284

Thought I would jump in here as soon as I can to post my work desk this week.  We went out to dinner tonight to celebrate as it is Veterans Day here in the states.  I came from a long line of military people and I feel we fall short sometimes in expressing our gratitude for all these men and women do to in service to our country.  My father was Army, step father Navy, husband was in the Army, and my son is still active duty Army.  Chad met his wife Candice while stationed in Germany and she made Sergent before he did!  Candice left the service to have the grand babies and Chad continues on as a Warrant Officer now.  
Chad last year when he graduated from Warrant Officer school
My husband Chuck in 1970 just home from Vietnam!
I know I say it every Wednesday but its the truth I haven't the foggiest idea where the week has gone and I have been kept busy doing one thing or another.   I spent last night up at Heather's house working on some ticket strips for a swap and will write a separate post this week to show them off.  I am rather happy with the way they turned out for a first time making them.  Just like the altered keys from last week it was something new and different and fun to try. 

My desk this week....
I have made several cards and things for swaps but today my desk is covered with a fall card that I learned to make at a Stampin' Up! meeting when I was a demo a couple years ago.  It is simply called the Gratitude Card because of the name of the stamp set...Day of Gratitude.  They taught us how to use the markers to paint the stamps, paper pierce, and decorate envelopes to match cards!  I really enjoyed the conference because of all I learned.

A better and closer view of the card!  I think it is really cute.  You can see a bit of the largest stamp in the set in the upper left and on the corners of the card.  I love this stamp set a lot.
 The card was a lot of fun to make and I usually tend toward a grungier type of arting I still love to make beautiful stamped cards.

Speaking of beautiful cards I received this beauty from my Christmas Secret Sister today.  I always have so much fun sending and receiving cards and gifts from unknown people and trying to guess who sent it!   
That is it for today but check back later in the week and I will post about the tickets and maybe more pictures of the new grand baby!

If you are wondering what all this is about and why I am sharing my desk go visit Julia at Stamping Ground and click on the link about WOYWW and she will fill you in on the details. 

24 comments:

  1. I love the card you made and the one from your Christmas Secret Sister....what a talented lot.
    Hugs,
    Annie x # 26

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Christmas cards & two handsome men .. Happy woyww Jill #23

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree those that serve don't get nearly the Thanks they deserve. Lovely cards!
    Angie #53

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Fall cards! And many thanks to your family for serving, and keeping us safe. Lindart #63

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right, that we all need to show our appreciation for the sacrifices and work of those in our armed forces. I'm in UK and the Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday services and tributes have had a far more poignant feel this year, because it is the 100th Anniversary of the start of the Great War (WW1). Have you seen any pictures of the "Fields of Blood" art installation at the Tower of London? over 8000 poppies, each hand made from ceramic, one "planted" to represent each and every UK soldier who died during the Great War conflict. It has been an amazing and quite beautiful way to remember these souls and the sacrifices they made in the name of Freedom and Peace. How sad, that 27 years after the start of WW1, the World was again at war... "The War to End All Wars" was never that after all...

    I like your Fall card - the stamps are beautiful. I do like "Stampin' Up" things, they're always very lovely. The colours you chose are gorgeous too.
    And the card your friend send is so pretty (and so different to yours!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a special weekend of remembrance hasn't it. You have 2 very handsome men there, Vickie.
    Love your fall card, it's very elegant.
    Hugs Lisax #34

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so lucky to have men and women who are willing to risk their lives to keep us safe.
    Have a great week and happy crafting, Angela x 39

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures and both of those cards are really beautiful. Have a great week - Sunshine Girl 27

    ReplyDelete
  9. The gratitude card is very nifty! I love revisiting old techniques and it is good to see others use them as well. I forget about them until someone mentions them.... like painting the different parts of a stamp and poking holes in paper (piercing). I never remember that and often it gives just the right touch. Judy #73

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards. You must be very proud of your family. Take care Zo xx 80

    ReplyDelete
  11. How very proud you must be, of all your lovely family. Great cards on the desk today. Happy WOYWW, and have a good week. Chris # 7

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cards - I love the little floral sprig on the Gratitude card - so pretty. What a lovely blog post - you must be very proud of your handsome men!
    Have a great week,
    Diana #44

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea for our veterans! I am always happy to tell them how much I appreciate what that do for us here at home. Love your desk this week. Lots going on and I love your cards.
    Glenda #48

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree we should honour our veterans more. Love the cards.
    Thanks for the visit already. Helen 3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely cards Vicki. I don't know where the week goes. On 11th November we all observed the two minute silence at 11 am. I usually go to the service at church on Remembrance Sunday ( 9th Nov this year) but didn't feel very well. There have been some very moving programmes on TV this year in UK. Anne x #38

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting post about your family and some lovely cards. Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers
    Gabriele 28

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right, we don't say thank you enough to the armed services. Nice to see your photos and story.
    Love the wide range of cards you've made :-)
    Hugs, LLJ 32 xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cards
    Happy Thursday! (sorry I'm late)
    Laura
    47

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Vickie,

    Yikes. I know what you mean about losing track of time. This week was weird; I had Tuesday off so I thought YESTERDAY was Tuesday and when I went to visit Julia and her WOYWW post was up and there were so many others linked up already I should have snapped.... but didn't until I got home last night. Ugh. Too late, I decided, to join in the fun.

    What a great photo of your husband and also your son. We definitely should do more for our Veterans. One special day of celebration isn't enough.

    Your cards are beautiful. How fun to get a surprise card in the mail and not really know who made it! Very cool.

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are right, we should celebrate those that defend/fight for our country. In Europe we celebrate Remembrance day where we think of those who died for their country but we should also honour servicemen alive and in the here and now. Thank you for posting photos of your husband and son. So special.
    Your cards are gorgeous! I have no idea what ticket strips are, so I'm curious to see (next week perhaps) what they are.
    Thanks for letting me look over your shoulder,
    Have a good week,
    Sorry I'm late but I take my time going through them all. (I really enjoy reading all the blogs and looking at the photos)
    Lisca#36

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Vickie,
    Every time I visit your desk I barely notice anything else, because I am instantly drawn to that wonderful collection of coloured pens! And I know I have said that before :)
    My sister has a visitor at the moment. He is the nephew of my oldest friend (who lives in Ireland now), and he has been in the defence forces in USA (he has dual citizenship) for 17 years and now he is joining the ADF here. (He flies serious helicopters).
    Thanks for stopping by and have a good week,
    RosA # 1

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Vickie, lovely to hear about your family.Beautiful card too. Running late this week, Have a great week, hugs, Shaz #20

    ReplyDelete
  23. You must be very proud of your family. I love your cards and all of your pens. Sorry I am so late visiting, it does take me such a long time but I get there in the end, then its time to start over again. Tracey @ 20

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do like the simplicity of that card. And In the UK it's Remembrance Sunday, and this year a big one as it's 100 years since the beginning of the first WW. Don't your men look dashing?
    Number only verification has returned so I'm jumping on it!

    Happy (late again) WOYWW!
    Mary Anne (2)

    ReplyDelete

I would really love to hear what you think about my art and my posts. Please leave me a comment and let me know! Thanks for visiting my blog. Vickie aka Okienurse